Undergraduate Forms, Policies & Procedures

A golden 'M' on a maroon flag

The University of Minnesota’s One Stop website is the central repository for information regarding registration, records, financial aid, billing, payment, and veterans benefits. One Stop should be your first stop when searching for more information on these or other procedures, policies, and forms. Below are some frequently requested information and forms.

Commonly Requested Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

How do I change my major?

You may discover that the major you are currently in is not the right fit or that your educational interests or career goals have changed. If this is the case, or even if you are only contemplating a change of major, your first step is to talk to your academic advisor. They can discuss with you your concerns about your current major, suggest majors/minors to explore, and provide you with accurate referrals. 

How do I add a minor?

If you want to declare a minor, the first step is to visit with the department that offers the minor. The department will direct you to follow a specific application process. This usually includes meeting with an advisor and filling out a form, which is then filed with the college office of the department offering the minor. That college, in turn, informs the College of Design.

How do I add a second major?

Adding a second major from within the College of Design
If you want to declare a second major AND it is one offered by College of Design, contact your academic advisor to set up an advising appointment. Please note that you must meet the admission requirements of the new major. For some majors your application will be included in the application pool for the following admitting term.

Adding a second major from outside of the College of Design
If you want to earn a second major, you must first meet with an advisor in the department offering that major. The department will direct you to follow a specific application process, which usually includes meeting with an advisor and filling out a form. The form is then filed and shared with both the college office of the department offering the major and the College of Design.

How do I add a second degree?

If you are interested in pursuing a second degree (for example; if you are pursuing a B.S. and would like to add a B.A.), first meet with the department offering the degree to find out their specific application process. Then, fill out the Application for Admission to Additional Undergraduate Degree Program (PDF) form; following the directions attached to the form. When it’s time to graduate, your application will ask you specific questions about additional majors, minors, and other degrees. You may finish all degrees, majors, and minors at one time, but you are not required to do so.

How do I request a substitution to my program (major or minor) requirements?

For course substitutions of College of Design program requirements (e.g., use a transfer course for a major or minor), fill out a Course Substitution request.

Items needed for each submission:

  • APAS report
  • Course syllabus (must include a list of assignments and the course schedule [e.g., class meeting dates]).

Note: A separate submission is needed for each program requirement.


How do I test out of University of Minnesota courses?

For Credit: Testing out of a U of M course for credit excuses you from taking the course and gives you credit for the course. The University also recognizes and awards credits for Advanced Placement (AP) exams, the International Baccalaureate Program, College in the Schools (CIS), Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO), and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Grades earned through PSEO and CIS at the U of M do appear on your transcript and count toward your U of M grade point average. 

No-credit Exemption (“Waiving”): Testing out of a U of M course for exemption excuses you from the requirement of taking a course, but it does NOT confer credit.

If you are a newly admitted or prospective student, contact Transfer Admissions Counselor for more information. If you are a current student, reach out to your academic advisor for next steps.

What is the University’s Student Code of Conduct?

As a student, your successful academic performance is about more than grades. It is about how you earned those grades. The choices you make about your academic responsibilities, as well as your personal conduct on- and off-campus, are a reflection of your personal values. The Student Conduct Code explains the University’s expectations of your personal and academic behavior and includes definitions of academic dishonesty. If you have any questions about classroom expectations in this regard (e.g., individual expectations on a group assignment), be sure to clarify with your instructor.      

How do I take a leave of absence?

In the event you need to request a leave of absence from school for one or more semesters, contact your academic advisor promptly for instructions and information on the University's leave of absence policy. Depending on your situation, upon your return you may follow the academic plan that was in place when you started your major. Consult your advisor about this option, as well as the processes for leaving and returning.

What is academic probation?

If you earn a term (semester) and/or cumulative GPA below 2.00, you will be placed on academic probation. A hold will be placed on your record that requires you to meet with your academic advisor to discuss your progress and to get permission to register for the upcoming term. If at any point during the term you feel that you are not doing well academically, talk to your academic advisor and the instructor for the course(s) in which you are not performing well. The earlier you seek assistance, the more likely you will experience a positive outcome.

What is academic suspension?

In the event of academic suspension, you will not be allowed to register at the U of M for a full academic year (two semesters) and you must request readmission to your college (see above). You may, however, appeal a suspension decision as specified in your suspension notice.

How do I apply for readmission?

If you do not enroll for classes in a given term (excluding summer) and you do not have an approved leave of absence (or if your leave of absence has expired), your active student status will be discontinued. If you wish to resume coursework at the U, you will need to apply for readmission, which is not guaranteed. You must also meet the major’s admission requirements, and if the major has limited space, you may need to go through the competitive admission process. Each situation is different depending upon space in the major and your academic record; cases are reviewed on an individual basis.