Course Substitution Petition

Have you taken a course at another college/institution or completed a relevant experience that you think might fulfill a College of Design program requirement?

Fill out a form to see if your previous classes fulfill your College of Design major or minor requirements.

Course Substition Petition

Common petitions include:

  • Fulfilling a CDes major or CDes minor requirement with a course from another college/institution
  • Fulfilling a CDes major or CDes minor requirement with a relevant experience

A separate submission is needed for each program requirement.
For each submission, you will need to include your:

  • APAS report
  • Course syllabus (must include a list of assignments and the course schedule)

Registration Petition

Need to make changes to your registration after University deadlines?

Request an exception related to policy or registration by referring to the Academic Policy Petition page for instructions. You will need to submit the form with your exception request.

Academic Policy Petition

Common petitions include:

  • Adding a course or swapping a section after the deadline
  • Withdrawing from a course after the deadline
  • Third attempt at a course
  • Changing your grade basis after the deadline


Not sure how to proceed with your request? Contact your College of Design academic advisor to discuss your options and the necessary process. Petitions are normally reviewed on a weekly basis by the College of Design Student Scholastic Standing Committee.


Testing out of Courses

For Credit: Testing out of a U of M course for credit excuses you from taking the course and gives you credit for the course. The University also recognizes and awards credits for Advanced Placement (AP) exams, the International Baccalaureate Program, College in the Schools (CIS), Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO), and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Grades earned through PSED and CIS at the U of M do appear on your transcript and count toward your U of M grade point average.

No-credit Exemption (“Waiving”): Testing out of a U of M course for exemption excuses you from the requirement of taking a course, but it does NOT confer credit.

More Information: If you have further questions or concerns about course credit or exemption, contact College of Design Student Services.

Studio Coursework Evaluation

If you have taken design studio coursework at another college prior to transferring to the College of Design and have portfolio work from those studio courses to show us, then if/when you are admitted into your major, you will then be invited to submit said portfolio work for our faculty to review and determine if it translates into any studio coursework here at the University of Minnesota. 

Maximum Credit Load

To exceed the credit limit for a semester, please contact your academic advisor.