The Center for Retail Design & Innovation (CRDI) within the Retail Merchandising Program is designed to enrich student experiences through industry partnerships and program involvement. The CRDI is designing, developing, and launching various educational opportunities to support and empower retail merchandising students. It is designed to connect students to resources, industry professionals, and hands-on learning experiences within the retail community to prepare them for success in their careers. As one of the only retail merchandising research centers located within a design college, CRDI will help students and partners develop crucial skills in design thinking, visual literacy, creative problem solving, leadership, and business analysis. Located within the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, CRDI has the added advantage of having many Fortune 500 corporations right at our fingertips.
I am thrilled to be part of this center and look forward to seeing what our faculty, students, and partners in the industry can accomplish together! Want to get involved? You can contact me at [email protected].
Students in RM 3124 Consumers of Design were selected to work with Kohl's Corporation on a semester-long case study competition. For this project, Kohl's was looking for ideas to increase their engagement with BIPOC customers. The winning project team was composed of Sonia Miller, Georgia Humphrey, and Grace King (all Retail Merchandising) who focused on a home strategy centered on recipes and cookware.
Industry Partnership Benefits
Learn about sponsorship levels and become a founding partner of the Center for Retail Design & Innovation at the University of Minnesota College of Design, or make a gift to the Center for Retail Design & Innovation.
Are you searching for a fresh perspective on an old business problem? Do you need an expert opinion on a new idea?
As a partner of the center you will have unique access to students and faculty who are working on the forefront of research within the retail industry. In addition, you will:
- Connect with top students for internships, job opportunities, and focus groups.
- Gain visibility by co-branding with the College of Design and the University of Minnesota through event sponsorships and publications.
- Impact students’ education and provide real-world learning experiences through case studies, guest lectures, and company tours.
- Work with leading researchers who can assist in business strategy development and analysis.
Through the center, you will have extraordinary access to invaluable resume-building experiences.
Get involved in the center's work and:
- Build personal connections with top professionals in the retail industry.
- Experience the complexity of retail through internships, case studies, and industry involvement.
- Learn how to anticipate change and develop strategies to stay ahead in an ever-changing industry.
- Be exposed to the impacts of decisions in a real-world business environment.