Who Should I Contact?
Apparel design, graphic design, and interior design students should contact their faculty advisor for help with the process and to answer questions. If you do not know who your faculty advisor is, refer to the Academic Progress Audit System.
In order for internship hours to count toward your for-credit internship, you must receive approval from your faculty advisor before beginning your internship.
- Thoroughly read the major-specific information and review the College of Design Internship Program: Responsibilities and Terms of Arrangement.
- Visit Career and Internship Services for assistance in locating an internship, writing your resume, creating your portfolio, and practicing your interview skills.
- Contact your faculty advisor to:
- Discuss your internship plans and initial ideas about learning goals and objectives.
- Understand the internship requirements and process.
- Gain preliminary credit approval.
- Meet with the potential internship site supervisor to discuss the possibility of an internship.
- Provide them with a copy of the College of Design Internship Program: Responsibilities and Terms of Arrangement.
- Arrange the details of the internship with them. Discuss your proposed learning goals as well as tasks, projects, and responsibilities that will allow you to meet those goals.
- Work with your faculty advisor to finalize your learning goals and objectives and the internship details.
- Complete the Internship Experience Agreement on Handshake.
- If you will need any accommodations related to a documented disability, you are strongly encouraged to speak with your faculty advisor and your internship site supervisor, as well as consult with the University of Minnesota Disability Resource Center in preparation for your internship experience.
Internship Experience Agreement Instructions
- Log in to your Handshake account. Note: If you have not used Handshake before, you will be prompted to set up your account, which you must do before completing your Experience Agreement.
- Once you log in, click on “Career Center” (upper right side), then select “Experiences” to access the form.
- Click on “Request an Experience,” then under “Experience type”…
- For apparel design, graphic design, interior design, product design and retail merchandising, select: CDes - ADES/GDES/HSG/IDES/PDES/RM
- For landscape design & planning, select: CDes - LDP
- Follow the prompts to complete ALL the questions as best as you can. If you leave any questions blank, we will contact you for more information if needed.
- Enter your e-signature and click on the green “Request Experience” button.
- Once you have submitted your Experience Agreement on Handshake, it will first be reviewed and processed by Career and Internship Services staff. It will then be automatically emailed to your internship site supervisor for their electronic approval.
- You should alert your internship site supervisor that they will be receiving this email.
- Handshake uses the term “work supervisor” in lieu of “internship site supervisor.” They are interchangeable.
- After your internship site supervisor has approved the Experience Agreement, an email will be sent via Handshake to your faculty advisor for their electronic approval. (This may take a few days depending on how quickly your agreement is approved at all levels.)
- Once your Experience Agreement has been approved by BOTH your internship site supervisor and your faculty advisor, you will be issued a permission number via email from:
- Department of Design, Housing & Apparel for apparel design, graphic design, interior design, product design, and retail merchandising
- Department of Landscape Architecture for landscape design & planning