Our faculty conduct groundbreaking research, engage in creative scholarship, and share their expertise with a wide variety of communities.
From examining alternatives to juvenile incarceration to improving the fit of surgical gloves, College of Design faculty are working on the forefront of design research and creative scholarship. Explore the depth and breadth of the research being conducted by our faculty at the Experts @ Minnesota webpage.
Recent Research Highlights
Imagine Fund Grant Recipients
The Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost announced the recipients of the 2020–2021 Imagine Fund Grants. This year's College of Design recipients are:
- Professor Elizabeth Bye (Apparel Design) –“Co-Designing Restorative Apparel"
- Professor Marilyn DeLong (Apparel Design) – “Trend Research and Forecasting Book Project”
- Professor Mary Guzowski (Architecture) – “Biophilic Net-Positive Design: integrating nature, health, and well-being for all”
- Assistant Professor Naeun (Lauren) Kim (Retail Merchandising) – “Customer Journey Map Design for Sustainable Fashion”
- Professor Rebecca Krinke (Landscape Architecture) – “Healing Across Time and Place”
- Assistant Professor Jessica Rossi-Mastracci (Landscape Architecture) – “Investigations into Land-Based Water Infrastructures"
- Associate Professor Juanjuan Wu (Retail Merchandising) – “Chinese Fashion from Mao to Now: The 2nd Edition”
- Professor Abimbola Asojo's (Interior Design) article, "Technology as a Tool for Globalization: Cross-cultural Design Studio Projects," was accepted for publication in the virtual issue of the Journal of Interior Design.
- Professor Sauman Chu (Graphic Design) has been invited to join the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients Review Committee–Human-Centered Design Subcommittee.
- Associate Professor Greg Donofrio (Heritage Studies and Public History) will act as a project partner on the Institute for Advanced Study's new initiative, Minnesota Transform: A Just University for Just Futures.
- Professor Tom Fisher (Minnesota Design Center) was awarded National Science Foundation funding for the project, "Creating an Integrated Emergency and Crisis Response System."
- Professor Julia Robinson (Architecture) won a 2021 Architectural Research Centers Consortium Book Award for her book, Complex Housing: Designing for Density.
College of Design Collaborative Research Grant Recipients
Congratulations to the three teams who received the $15,000 College of Design Collaborative Research Grants.
Increasing the Energy Efficiency of Buildings Through On-Body Supplemental Heating: A Feasibility Analysis
PI: Rolf Jacobson, Center for Sustainable Building Research / Architecture
Co-PI: Lucy Dunne, Wearable Technology Lab Co-Director / Apparel Design
A Biophilic Approach to Net-Positive Design
PI: Mary Guzowski, Architecture
Co-PIs: Joe Favour, Landscape Architecture; Richard Graves, Center for Sustainable Building Research; Jessica Rossi-Mastracci, Landscape Architecture; Abimbola Asojo, Interior Design