Our faculty conduct groundbreaking research, engage in creative scholarship, and share their expertise with a wide variety of communities.
From examining alternatives to juvenile incarceration to improving the fit of surgical gloves, College of Design faculty are working on the forefront of design research and creative scholarship. Explore the depth and breadth of the research being conducted by our faculty at the Experts @ Minnesota webpage.
Recent Research Highlights
2022–2023 Imagine Faculty Research Grants Awarded
This spring, 12 faculty members received grants from the University’s Imagine Fund, which supports innovative research in the arts, humanities, and design fields.
End of the Year Research Reports
College of Design faculty, instructors, and researchers received a wide range of grants, awards, and accolades this academic and calendar year. See the full list of research contributions in the end of the year research reports:
- 2021 and 2022 | Grants with CDes Principal Investigators (Source: UMN Reports)
- 2021 and 2022 | Projects and Grants (Source: UMN Experts)
- 2021 and 2022 | Publications (Source: UMN Experts)
- January 2021 to May 2022 | College of Design Awards and Honors (Source: UMN Works, faculty self reported)
- January 2021 to May 2022 | College of Design Grants (Source: UMN Works, SPA reported)
- January 2021 to May 2022 | Publications and other intellectual contributions (Source: UMN Works)
College of Design Collaborative Research Grant Recipients
Congratulations to the teams who received 2022 College of Design Collaborative Research Grants. Each project team received $15,000 to further their research.
Human-centered Design Approach to Training Medical Residents and Fellows: An Immersive, Multi-modal, and Interactive Platform for Learning Cardiac Anesthesia
PI: Cecilia Xi Wang, Graphic Design
Co-PIs: Eugene Park, Graphic Design; Carlye Lauff, Product Design