What can be shared in just seven minutes?
Listen in as seven professionals from the fields of apparel design, architecture, graphic design, interior design, landscape architecture, product design, and retail share thought-provoking, inspiring, and often humorous tales from the design trenches.
Design in 7 is a two-time UMAA Program Extraordinaire Award Winner.
- Samantha Tousey (BS '09 Retail Merchandising), Director of Women's Buying, MartinPatrick3
- Ashley Adamma Ochiagha (BS '15 Interior Design), Interior Designer and Engagement Strategist, Fancy Meeting You Here
- Wanjing Ji, Landscape Architect and Design Director, Coen+Partners
- Jeremiah Albrecht, Creative Director, Chandler Inc.
- Maxine Britt (BS '20 Apparel Design), Founder, Mx Apparel
- Gabriel Keller, Designer and Founding Principal, PKA Architecture
- Hannah Edwards, Designer, Illustrator, Educator, and Founder of Greater Than Courses
Previous Speakers & Event Recordings
2022 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Gretchen Pickering.
- Carla Fabian, UX Designer, Solution Design Group
- Ashley Ackerson, Director for Womenswear & Product Design, Target
- Max Musicant, Founder + Principal, The Musicant Group
- Sally Grans Korsh, Facilities Management & Environmental Advisor
- Tejas Dhadphale, Associate Professor, UMN College of Design
- Joy Martin, Architect and Owner, Joy Martin Architecture
- Judy Bell, CEO (Chief Energetic Officer), Energetic Retail
2021 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Isabel Atkinson.
- Debra W. Barnes, CID, Vice President, General Manager, Henricksen
- Reginaldo Reyes, VP Brand Experience and Environmental Design, KNOCK, inc.
- Maura Rockcastle, Principal & Co-founder, TEN x TEN
- Beau Sinchai, Product Insights Researcher, Target; Founder/Designer, Koonyai Studio
- Kathryn Sterner, Founder and Creative Director, Winsome Goods
- Emily Hunt Turner, Founder & CEO, All Square, Attorney
- Le'Spencer Walker, Owned Brand Manager / Strategy and Operations Manager, Target
2020 Design in 7 Speakers
2020 event canceled due to COVID-19 pandemic.
2019 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by John Barlow.
- Luis Soto, Industrial and UX Designer, Associate Designer for Home Product Design, Target
- Adam Regn Arvidson, Landscape Architect, Writer, Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
- Michele Espeland, Certified Interior Designer (CID), Principal, Cuningham Group
- Joy McBrien, Founder and CEO, Fair Anita
- Raymond Dehn, Politician and Community Organizer, MN House of Representatives
- Marion Parke, Podiatric surgeon and luxury footwear designer, Marion Parke
- Meg Lewis, Designer, Educator, Commercial Artist, Ghostly Ferns, Fool Proof
2018 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Tessa Portuese.
- Tim Carl, CEO & Design Principal, HGA
- Susan Shields, Co-owner, Airtex Group
- Nyakim Gatewich, Model, @queennyakimofficial
- Greg Van Bellinger, Vice President, Target
- Carlo Missio, Sr. Urban Designer, WSB & Associates
- Merick Reed, CEO, Carbon Collective
- Kate Worum and Jennifer Jorgensen, Co-Founders, She She
2017 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Justy Nusbaum.
- Kate Arends, Owner, Wit & Delight
- Ana Nelson, Senior Landscape Architect, Perkins+Will
- Matthew Kreilich, Principal Architect, Snow Kreilich Architects
- Coleman Iverson, Chief Creative Officer / Co-Founder, Hidrate, Inc.
- Tao Ham, Associate Vice President, HGA
- Jerry Allan, President, Criteria Architects
- Ashley Damian, Women's Shoe Designer, Target
2016 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Lizzie Goncharova.
- Brent Webb, Business Development Associate, Sherman Associates
- Susan Weyandt, Area Healthcare Manager, Steelcase
- Jennifer Yoos FAIA, Principal/CEO, VJAA (video not available)
- Sharon Werner, Founder/Creative Director, Werner Design Werks (video not available)
- Wesley Uthus, Owner, Primp cheap-chic boutique
- Anna Claussen, Director of Rural Strategies, Institute for Agriculture & Trade Policy
- Brad Holschuh, Wearable Technology Designer and Faculty, UMN College of Design
2015 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Dan Forke.
- Andrew Flesher, Designer, Andrew Flesher Interiors
- Anna Growcott, Consulting Associate, Artspace
- Tara LaTour, Designer, Tara LaTour
- Monica Little, Founder and Chair, Little
- David Samela, Architect, Salmela Architect
- Audra Simmering, Senior Director of Product Development and Sourcing, Illume
- Ellen Stewart, Landscape Architect, St. Paul Parks and Recreation
2014 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Max Lindorfer.
- Michael Alexin, Vice President of Product Design & Development, Target
- AJ Paron-Wildes, Interior Designer/Regional Architectural and Design Manager, Allsteel
- Todd Thyberg, Creative Director and Owner, Angel Bomb
- Peter Remes, Developer, First & First
- Joan Soranno FAIA, Design Principal, HGA
- Pete Hagen, Senior Product Manager of Sourcing, Target
- Bob Close FASLA, Landscape Architect, Bob Close Studio, LLC
2013 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Aimee Bouchard.
- Joan Arbisi Little, Ed.D, Principal at Bibelot Shops, Inc.; Education Consultant
- AJ Dewey, Design Director, PM&J, LLC
- Stephanie Grotta, Landscape Architect, Target
- Seth Johnson, Designer and Strategist, Seth Johnson Design
- Samantha Strong, Real Estate Broker and General Contractor, Metamorphosis
- Don Thomas, Design Principal, BWBR
- Wynne Yelland AIA, LEED AP, Architect, LOCUS Architecture
2012 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Henry Nahurski.
- Tom Dupont, Account Director, Kazoo Branding
- Steven Dwyer AIA, LEED AP, Associate Vice President, HGA
- Josh Dye, Marketing and Outreach Coordinator, HousingLink
- Lee Ehmke, Director and CEO, MN Zoo
- Anna Lee, Technical Designer, Target, and Designer, Ruby3
- Jackie Millea, Founding Partner, Shelter Architecture
- Julie Allinson, Founder and President, Eyebobs
2011 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Dan Henderson.
- Alan Arthur, President/CEO, Aeon
- Lyn Berglund, CID, ASID (BS '76), Director of Interior Design, Mohagen Hansen
- Bruce Chamberlain, ASLA (BLA '89), Vice President, Principal, Hoisington Koegler Group, Inc.
- Quan Hoang, Chief Creative Officer, Pixel Farm Digital
- Kristina Klockars, Vice President, Hot Mama
- Barry Kudrowitz, Product designer and associate professor of product design, College of Design, University of Minnesota
- Julie Snow, Founder of Julie Snow Architects
2010 Design in 7 Speakers
Illustrations by Mercury Creative Group (formerly Beganik Strategy+Design).
- Anita Barnett, Principal, Perkins+Will
- John Cuningham, Founder, Cunningham Group
- Damon Farber, Founder, Damon Farber Landscape Architecture
- Amy Michielle Freeman, Creative Director, Soho Exchange
- Chuck Hermes, Chief Experience Offiicer/Founding Partner, Clockwork
- Wayne Laberda, Senior Apparel Designer, Target
- Bill Mague, Vice President, Artspace Projects, Inc.