Research, Engagement & Creative Scholarship
Research Centers, Museums, and Labs
- College of Design Research Centers
- College of Design Research Labs
- Goldstein Museum of Design
- College of Design Consortia
The College of Design houses a number of research centers, both departmental and collegiate. Its faculty and researchers also partner with other centers housed within the University of Minnesota.
Centers focus on a wide breadth of research and work with community members to help solve societal challenges. Centers also have numerous research affiliates and fellows, some of whom may work in other University departments and some who work outside of the University.
Research labs at the College of Design focus on a wide breadth of research and provide opportunities for experimentation, testing, observation, development, and practice.
Labs housed within the college include the Human Dimensioning Lab and the Wearable Technology Lab.
The Goldstein Museum of Design (GMD) is an academic teaching museum housed within the college. Dedicated to sharing the value of design through its 34,000+ multidisciplinary objects GMD is committed to advancing learning for students as well as the greater community and is the only design museum in the Upper Midwest.
The College of Design currently has one active consortium, the Consortium for Research Practices. Composed of Twin Cities architecture firms, the consortium works to close the knowledge gap between academia and practice by providing paid research-practice internships to students within the Master of Science in Architecture Research Practices (MS-RP) track.
Congratulations to the recipients of the $1,500 College of Design Collaborative Research Grants:
- Study on homeownership in American suburbs using graphic representation and GIS mapping: Mary Begley (Architecture) and Sonali Devarajan (Landscape Architecture)
- Research on food waste at the Minnesota State Fair using story maps and ARCGIS: SunMin (May) Hwang (Human Factors & Ergonomics) and Hoa Vo (Interior Design)
Situated within a top-tier, land grant research university our faculty are on the cutting edge of the design fields.