Research, Engagement & Creative Scholarship
Research Centers, Museums, and Labs
- College of Design Research Centers
- College of Design Research Labs
- Goldstein Museum of Design
- Intercollegiate Research Centers
The College of Design houses a number of research centers including the Center for Retail Design and Innovation, Center for Sustainable Building Research, Center for World Heritage Studies, the Digital Design Center, and the Minnesota Design Center. Centers focus on a wide breadth of research and work with community members to help solve societal challenges. Centers also have numerous research affiliates and fellows, some of whom may work in other University departments and some who work outside of the University. Learn more about each center's mission, current projects, and affiliated researchers by visiting their websites.
Research labs at the College of Design focus on a wide breadth of research and provide opportunities for experimentation, testing, observation, development, and practice. Labs housed within the college include the Human Dimensioning Lab and the Wearable Technology Lab. Learn more about each lab's mission, current projects, and affiliated researchers by visiting their websites.
The Goldstein Museum of Design (GMD) is an academic teaching museum housed within the college. Dedicated to sharing the value of design through its 34,000+ multidisciplinary objects GMD is committed to advancing learning for students as well as the greater community and is the only design museum in the Upper Midwest.
Intercollegiate research centers are centers jointly housed between different colleges. These centers are ones that College of Design faculty members work with as researchers.
Congratulations to the recipients of the $1,500 College of Design Collaborative Research Grants:
- Study on homeownership in American suburbs using graphic representation and GIS mapping: Mary Begley (Architecture) and Sonali Devarajan (Landscape Architecture)
- Research on food waste at the Minnesota State Fair using story maps and ARCGIS: SunMin (May) Hwang (Human Factors & Ergonomics) and Hoa Vo (Interior Design)
Situated within a top-tier, land grant research university our faculty are on the cutting edge of the design fields.