Lucy E. Dunne
Program Director of Apparel Design and Apparel Studies Track of Design Graduate Program
Wearable Technology Lab Co-Director
- Watkins, S.M. and Dunne, L.E. (2015) Functional Clothing Design: Sportswear to Space Suits. New York: Fairchild Books.
- Dunne, L.E., Simon, C., and Gioberto, G. (2015) E-Textiles in the Apparel Factory: Leveraging Cut-And-Sew Technology Toward the Next Generation of Smart Garments. In Barfield, Thomas, and Martin (Eds.), Fundamentals of Wearable Computers and Augmented Reality, 2nd edition. Boca Raton: CRC Press
- Dunne, L.E. (2015) Technology and Sustainable Futures. In Hethorn and Ulasewicz (Eds.), Sustainable Fashion: What’s Next? A Conversation about Issues, Practices and Possibilities, 2nd Edition. New York: Fairchild Books.
- Dunne, L.E., Profita, H., and Zeagler, C. (2014) Social Aspects of Wearability and Interaction. In Sasznov, and Neuman (Eds.), Wearable Sensors: Fundamentals, Implementation, and Application. (pp. 25-44) New York: Elsevier.
- Gioberto, G., and Dunne, L.E. (2014) Garment-Integrated Bend Sensor. Electronics, 3(4), 564-581.
- Dunne, L.E., Morris, K., Reich, J., Ramaswamy, H., Ashdown, S.P., Kozen, F., and Coffman, C. (2015) Fashion meets Space Travel: Engaging Girls in STEM through Functional Apparel Design. Proc. of the International Conference on Environmental Systems. Seattle, WA.
- Carton, A., and Dunne, L.E. (2013) Tactile Distance Feedback for Firefighters: Design and Preliminary Evaluation of a Sensory Augmentation Glove. Proc. of the ACM SIGCHI Augmented Human Conference. Stuttgart, Germany.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Wearable Technology. In Welters and Lilethun, Eds. The Fashion Reader, 2nd Edition. New York, Berg.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Beyond the Second Skin: An Experimental Approach to Addressing Garment Style and Fit Variables in the Design of Sensing Garments. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education, 3:3 p109-117.
- L.E. Dunne. (2010) Smart Clothing in Practice: Key Design Barriers to Commercialization. Fashion Practice, 2:1 p41-66.
- L.E. Dunne, P. Walsh, B. Smyth, and B. Caulfield. (2008) Wearable Monitoring of Seated Spinal Posture. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, 2:2 p97-105.
- L.E. Dunne and B. Smyth. (2007) Psychophysical Elements of Wearability. Proc. of Computer Human Interaction, San Jose, CA.
- L.E. Dunne, S. Brady, D. Diamond, B. Smyth. (2005) Initial Development and Testing of a Novel Foam-Based Pressure Sensor for Wearable Sensing. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 2:4
Resident and outreach teaching.
- ADES 3224 Apparel Design Studio IV: Functional Apparel Design
- ADES 3227 Technical Design Studio
- Des 5185 Human Factors in Design
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2015 Minneapolis-St Paul Business Journal "Titan of Technology" Award
- 2013 NASA Silver Achievement Medal
- 2013 NSF CAREER Award
- 2012 Lectra Innovation Award for Teaching
- 2012 International Textiles and Apparel Association Rising Star Award
- 2011 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award
- 2010 Lectra Innovation Award for Faculty Research
- 2007 Corscience Young Investigator Award