Retail Merchandising Program Director
Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
M.S., Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
B.S., Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Im, H., & Lee, G. (2023). Do consumers always believe humans create better boxes than AI? The context-dependent role of creativity in fashion and meal subscriptions. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. https://doi-org.ezp2.lib.umn.edu/10.1108/IJRDM-09-2021-0449.
- Lim, H., & Im, H. (2023). It’s the little “stings”: Racial microaggressions against Asian American customers in retail and their effects. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 71. 103194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2022.103194.
- Im, H., Lee, G., & Parr, J. (2022). Why consumers support local: moral foundations theory and identity perspective. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 40(1), 15-26. https://doi-org.ezp2.lib.umn.edu/10.1108/JCM-11-2021-5009.
- Lim, H., Im, H., & Lee, G. (2022). The strengths of fashion film series: the effects on character empathy and brand anthropomorphism. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 13(4), 289-303. https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2022.2097939.
- Im, H., Kim, N., & Lee, H. K. (2022). Why did (some) consumers buy toilet papers? A cross-cultural examination of panic buying as a maladaptive coping response to COVID-19. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 56(1), 391-413. https://doi.org/10.1111/joca.12426.
- Kim, N. & Im, H. (2022). Do liberals want curbside pickup more than conservatives? Contactless shopping as a protective behavior during the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 46(2), 589-600. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12714.
- Im, H., Ju, H., & Johnson, K. P. (2021). Beyond visual clutter: The interplay among products, advertisements, and the overall webpage. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 15(4), 804-821. https://doi.org/10.1108/JRIM-10-2020-0213.
- Whang, C., & Im, H. (2021). “I like your suggestions!” The role of humanlikeness and parasocial relationship on website versus voice shopper’s perception of recommendations. Psychology & Marketing, 38(4), 581-595. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.21437.
- Ha, Y., & Im, H. (2020). Role of interactive visual learning tool and its personalizability in online learning: Flow experience. Online Learning Journal, 24(1), 205-226.
- Park, M., Im, H., & Kim, H-Y. (2020). “You are too friendly!” The negative effects of social media marketing on perceptions of luxury fashion brands. Journal of Business Research, 117, 529-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.07.026.
- Whang, C., & Im, H. (2018). Does recommendation matter for trusting beliefs and trusting intentions? Focused on different types of recommender system and sponsored recommendation. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 46(10), 944-958. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-06-2017-0122.
- Park, M., Im, H., & Kim, D. Y. (2018). Feasibility and user experience of virtual reality fashion stores. Fashion and Textiles. 5:32. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40691-018-0149-x.
- Im, H., & Ha, Y. (2018). Attract, captivate, and make them return: Processing fluency effects on time perception and loyalty intention. International Journal of Electronic Marketing & Retailing, 9(2), 126-144. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJEMR.2018.090889.
- Kwon, H., Ha, S., & Im, H. (2016). The impact of similarity of other customers on shopping mall satisfaction. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 28, 304-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2015.01.004.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Director of Graduate Studies, the Design Graduate Program, 2018/19-2020/21
- Chair of the External Relations Committee, International Textiles and Apparel Association, 2017-2018.
- Co-editor of International Journal of Retailing and Distribution Management: Focused issue on Omnichannel shopper experience, 2018.
- Co-editor of Journal of Fashion, Style, and Popular Culture: Focused issue on Fashion and Social Responsibility, 2013.
- Editorial Review Board Member, International Journal of Costume.
- Director of Undergraduate Program, the Retail Merchandising Program, 2022/23–Present.
- RM 2234 Retailing in a Digital Age
- RM 4216 Retail Promotions
- APST 8268 Behavioral Aspects of Dress
- APST 8272 Digital Consumers: Theories in Retail and Consumer Studies
- RM 4235/APST 5235 Data-Driven Retail: Big Data and Text Analysis
Selected Honors and Awards
- Faculty Best Paper Award, American Collegiate Retailing Association (ACRA), 2014, 2016.
- Best Paper Award, the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 2014, 2017.
- Best Paper Award, Global Fashion Management Conference, 2014.
- Paper of Distinction Award, International Textiles and Apparel Association (ITAA), 2010, 2014, 2021
- Best Research Paper Award, International Textiles and Apparel Association (ITAA), 2009.
- Wiley Top Cited Article 2021-2022: Whang, C., & Im, H. (2021). “I like your suggestions!” The role of humanlikeness and parasocial relationship on website versus voice shopper’s perception of recommendations. Psychology & Marketing, 38(4), 581-595. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.21437.
- 2017 CTRJ Award: Top 10 cited articles in 2018: Im, H., Hokanson, B. & Johnson, K. K. P. (2015). Teaching creative thinking skills: A longitudinal study. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 33(2), 129-142. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X15569010.
Specialties & Expertise:
Consumer Psychology, Affective Decision-Making, Retail Technology and Innovations, Consumer Experiences and Perceptions, Data Analytics and Consumer Insights
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108