Associate Professor, Architecture
Director of the Heritage Studies & Public History Program
Affiliate Faculty in the Humphrey School of Public Affairs
Ph.D. in City and Regional Planning, Cornell University—College of Architecture, Art, and Planning
Master of Arts in Historic Preservation Planning, Cornell University—College of Architecture, Art, and Planning
Bachelor of Arts with departmental honors; thesis with distinction (Major: History of Science & Technology; Minor: American History), Vassar College
- “Feeding the City,” republication in Vol. IV of Urban Landscape: Critical Concepts in the Built Environment, edited by Anita Berrizbeitia (London: Routledge, 2015), 270-287.
- “Attacking Distribution: Obsolescence and Efficiency of Food Markets in the Age of Urban Renewal,” Journal of Planning History 13, no. 2 (October 21, 2013): 136-159.
- Greg Donofrio and Meghan Elliott, “Understanding the ‘World’s Largest’ All Reinforced-Concrete Office Building,” APT Bulletin: Journal of Preservation Technology 44, no. 2-3 (2013): 23-33.
- “Feeding the City,” republication in “The Best of Gastronomica,” Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture 13, no. 1 (spring 2013): 54-65.
- “Gender Realignment: The Design and Marketing of Gas Stations for Women,” in The Rise of Marketing and Market Research, edited by Hartmut Berghoff, Philip Scranton, and Uwe Spiekermann (Palgave Macmillan, Nov., 2012).
- “Preservation by Adaptation: Is it Sustainable?” Change over Time: An International Journal of Conservation and the Built Environment 2, no. 2 (fall 2012): 106-131.
- “Urban Planning, the Natural Environment, and Public Health,” invited submission with Nancy Wells, Ph.D. (Cornell University), Encyclopedia of Environmental Health, edited by Jerome Nriagu, Elsevier, 2011
- ARCH 5671 Introduction to Historic Preservation
- ARCH 5609 Development and Implementation of Research
- ARCH 5676 Economics of Historic Preservation
Selected Honors and Awards
- Diversity Achievement Award, American Collegiate School of Architecture, 2016, for the Arthur and Edith Lee House Project exhibition and National Register of Historic Places listing.
- Leadership in History Award, American Association for State and Local History, 2015, for the exhibition “A Right to Establish a Home,” HGA Gallery, Rapson Hall, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Campus, August 22, 2014—January 4, 2015. Role: Curator and author of exhibition content with graduate research assistant Laurel Fritz.
- Anne de Fort-Menares Award from the Association for Preservation Technology International (APT) recognizing “the article that best demonstrates excellence in the application of historical research to preservation practice published in the APT Bulletin”, received for Greg Donofrio and Meghan Elliott, “Understanding the ‘World’s Largest’ All Reinforced-Concrete Office Building,” APT Bulletin: Journal of Preservation Technology 44, no. 2-3 (2013).
- Heritage Collaborative Grants, University of Minnesota Institute for Advanced Study, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.
- Residential Fellowship, University of Minnesota Institute for Advanced Study, Spring 2012
- University of Minnesota Community-Engaged Fellowship for Faculty Development, funded by the US Department of Education, 2010-2011
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship, Massachusetts Historical Society, 2007
- John W. Reps Award for Superior Academic Achievement, Cornell University, 2000
- Eloise Ellery Graduate Fellowship, Vassar College, 1998-1999
Specialties & Expertise:
History and Theory of Historic Preservation, Historic Preservation Policy (United States), 20th Century US Urban Planning History, Financial Incentives for Historic Preservation, and Community Engaged Historic Preservation
89 Church Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455