Graduate Program Director, Product Design
Books and Journal Publications
- Kuys, B., Hirata, T., Lauff, C.A., “Aligning new product development with underutilised manufacturing capabilities as a strategy for design-driven entrepreneurship,” The Design Journal, in review.
- Lauff, C.A., Wee, Y.H., Swee, A., Png, S., Wood, K.L., 2021, Design Innovation (DI) Methodology Handbook. SUTD International Design Centre. ISBN: 978-981-18-0022-1.
- Lauff, C.A., Knight, D., Kotys-Schwartz, D., Rentschler, M.E., 2020, “The role of prototypes in communication between stakeholders,” Design Studies, 66(1), p1-32.
- Hwang, D., Lauff, C.A., Perez, K.B., Camburn, B.A., Wood, K.L., 2020 “Comparing the Impacts of Design Principles for Additive Manufacturing on Student and Experienced Designers”, International Journal of Engineering Education, 36(6), p. 1862-1876.
- Lauff, C.A., Weidler-Lewis, J., Kotys-Schwartz, D., and Rentschler, M.E., 2018, “Prototypes as Intermediary Objects for Design Coordination in First-Year Design Courses,” International Journal of Engineering Education, 34(3), p. 1085-1103.
- Lauff, C.A., Kotys-Schwartz, D., Rentschler, M.E., 2018, “What is a prototype? What are the roles of prototypes in companies?” Journal of Mechanical Design, 140(6), p.061102.
- Krishnakumar, S., Lauff, C., McComb, C., Berdanier, C., Menold, J., 2021 (in review), “Novice Designers' Use of Prototypes as Communication Tools,” International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED). August 16-20. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Lauff, C.A., Collopy, A., Swee, A., Wee, Y.H., Teo, K., Camburn, B., Teo, L., Jensen, D.D., Wood, K. L., 2020, “Design Innovation in Complex Systems Design: Integrating Design Thinking and Systems Thinking,” Proceedings of the ASME 2020 IDETC/CIE – Design Theory and Methodology Conference, St. Louis, MO (Online/Virtual). August 17-19. DETC-2020-52938
- Ranscombe, C., Bissett-Johnson, K., Zhang, W., Eisenbart, B., Lauff, C.A., 2020, “Which Visualization Tools and Why? Comparing Perceptions of Student and Practicing Designers Towards Digital Sketching,” Proceedings in 22nd International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE), Herning, Denmark (Online/Virtual). September 10-11. Paper #1173.
- Lauff, C.A., Menold, J., Wood, K.L., 2019, “Prototyping Canvas: Design Tool for Planning for Purposeful Prototypes,” International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED). August 4-8. Delft, Netherlands.
- Lauff, C.A., Perez, K.B., Camburn, B., Wood, K.L., 2019, “Design Principle Cards: Toolset to Support Innovations with Additive Manufacturing,” Proceedings of the ASME 2019 IDETC/CIE – Design Theory and Methodology Conference, Anaheim, CA. August 18-21. DETC-2019-97231.
- Perez, K.B., Lauff, C.A., Camburn, B., Wood, K.L., 2019, “Design Innovation with Additive Manufacturing (DIwAM): A Methodology,” Proceedings of the ASME 2019 IDETC/CIE – Design Theory and Methodology Conference, Anaheim, CA. August 18-21. DETC-2019-97400.
- Lauff, C.A., Kotys-Schwartz, D., Rentschler, M.E., 2018, “Company Case Study: Design Methods used during Early Stages of Evolutionary Product Development,” Proceedings of the ASME 2018 IDETC/CIE – Design Theory and Methodology Conference, Quebec City, Quebec, CA, August 26-29. DETC-2018-85406.
- Lauff, C.A., Kotys-Schwartz, D., Rentschler, M.E., 2017, “Perceptions of Prototypes: Pilot Study Comparing Students and Professionals,” Proceedings of the ASME 2017 IDETC/CIE – Design Education Conference, Cleveland, OH, August 6-9, DETC2017-68117.
- Stangl, A., Weidler-Lewis, J., Lauff, C.A., Price, E., and Fauble, E., 2017, “The SEL Transition Wheel: Designing for Early Childhood Social Emotional Learning,” Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Interaction Design and Children, Stanford, CA, June 27-30, pp. 334-339, ACM.
- Lauff, C.A., Menold, J., Small, M., 2016, “Two Design Cases Exploring Development of Social Emotional Learning Solutions,” Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Design and Emotion, Amsterdam, Netherlands, September 27-30.
- 2020, Design Thinking 101 podcast with Dawan Stanford – Prototyping Insights + The Prototyping Canvas (DT101 E46)
- 2020, The Reset Show Podcast – Prototyping and Experimentation and Why it Matters
- 2020, Interview with Productable – The 3 Biggest Prototyping Mistakes according to Carlye Lauff, World-Leading Prototyping Expert
- 2018, Three-Minute Thesis (3MT) Finalist Video on Dissertation Research
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- At-Large Board of Directors, Penn State Mechanical Engineering Alumni Society, 2020-present
- Mentor and advisor, Design for America, 2018-present
- Reviewer for journal articles and conference proceedings, including Design Studies, Design Science, Journal of Mechanical Design, International Conference on Engineering Design, Conferences on Design Theory & Methodology and Design Education within the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference, 2015-present
University of Minnesota
- PDes 2771: Product Design Studio 1
- PDes 2772: Product Design Studio 2
- PDes 3771: Product Design Studio 3
- PDes 4701W: Capstone Research Studio
- PDes 4702W: Capstone Design Studio
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2019, Singapore Good Design Mark Award – Additive Manufacturing Design Principle Cards
- 2017, National Science Foundation Global Research Opportunities Worldwide Fellowship
- 2015, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
Specialties & Expertise:
Design Methods and Tools, Design Education, Design Communication, Design Representation, Prototyping, Front-end Design Activities, Entrepreneurship, Design Anthropology, Social Dynamics of Design