Associate Professor, Apparel Design and Human Factors & Ergonomics
Wearable Technology Lab Co-director
Faculty Affiliate, MnDRIVE Initiative (Robotics, Sensors, and Advanced Manufacturing)
Human Factors and Ergonomics Director of Graduate Studies
- Granberry, R., Duvall, J., Dunne, L. E., & Holschuh, B. (2017, September). An analysis of anthropometric geometric variability of the lower leg for the fit & function of advanced functional garments. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers (pp. 10-17). ACM.
- Duvall, Julia, Rachael Granberry, Lucy E. Dunne, Brad Holschuh, Christopher Johnson, Kevin Kelly, Bruce Johnson, and Michael Joyner. "The design and development of active compression garments for orthostatic intolerance." In 2017 Design of Medical Devices Conference, pp. V001T01A013-V001T01A013. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2017
- .Granberry, R., Ciavarella, N., Pettys-Baker, R., Berglund, M.E. and Holschuh, B., 2018, April. No-Power-Required, Touch-Activated Compression Garments for the Treatment of POTS. In 2018 Design of Medical Devices Conference (pp. V001T10A006-V001T10A006). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Goncalves, C., Ferreira da Silva, A., Simoes, R., Gomes, J., Stirling, L., and Holschuh, B.“Study of a Cyclic Controlled Pulsatile Compression Wearable Device” submitted to IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics, September 2016 (under review).
- Duvall, J., Schleif, N., Dunne, L., and Holschuh, B. “Dynamic Compression Garments for Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) Treatment using Integrated Active Materials,” submitted to ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems – Special Issue on Medical Cyber-Physical Systems, 15 August 2016 (under review).
- Holschuh, B., and Newman, D. "Morphing Compression Garments for Space Medicine and Extravehicular Activity using Active Materials," in Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance 87(2), p. 84-92. 10 February 2016.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2016. Review of NASA’s evidence report on human health risks: 2015 Letter report. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- 2018 Ozbek, S., Islam Molla, Md. T., Compton, C., and Holschuh, B. “Novel Manufacturing of Advanced Smart Garments: Knitting with Spatially-Varying, Multi-material Monofilament”, full paper presented at 2018 International Symposium on Wearable Computers (ISWC).
- 2018 Foo, E., Lee, W., Ozbek, S., and Holschuh, B. “Preliminary Study of Subjective Comfort and Emotional Effects of On-Body Compression”, short paper presented at 2018 International Symposium on Wearable Computers (ISWC).
- 2018 Granberry, R., Eschen, K., Abel, J., and Holschuh, B. “Active-Contracting Variable-Stiffness Fabrics for Self-Fitting Wearables”, technical manuscript presented at the 2018 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures, and Intelligent Systems (SMASIS), September 2018.
- 2018 Schleif, N., Berglund, M., Lee, J.W., Utset-Ward, S.,Pettys-Baker, R., and Holschuh, B. “Development and Characterization of Modular Elastic Switches for Sensing and Control of Active Compression Garments”, technical manuscript presented at the 2018 International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES), July 2018.
- 2018 Pettys-Baker, R., Schleif, N., Lee, J.W., Utset-Ward, S., Berglund, M., Johnson, C., Kelly, K., Johnson, B., Joyner, M., Dunne, L., and Holschuh, B. “Tension-Controlled Active Compression Garment for Treatment of Orthostatic Intolerance”, technical manuscript presented at the 2018 UMN Design of Medical Devices Conference, April 2018.
- 2018 R., Granberry, R., Ciarvarella, N., Pettys-Baker, R., Berglund, M., and Holschuh, B. “No-Power- Required, Touch-Activated Compression Garments for the Treatment of POTS”, technical manuscript presented at the 2018 UMN Design of Medical Devices Conference, April 2018.
- 2017 Yarosh, L., Mejia, K., Unver, B., Wang., X., Yao., Y., Campbell, A., and Holschuh, B.“Squeezebands: Mediated Social Touch Using Shape Memory Alloy Actuation”, in Proceedings of the ACM on Human- eraction, Vol. 1 (No. 2), Article 116, November 2017 (doi 10.1145/3134751).
- Holschuh, B., and Newman, D. "Extravehicular Activity (EVA)," a chapter to appear in the Encyclopedia of Bioastronautics, Springer, January 2017.
- Des 5185 Human Factors in Design
- DES 8102 Quantitative Research Methods
- ADES 2214 Softlines Analysis
- Additional Courses TBD
- 2016: “NASA’s Unexplained Files”, Season 3, The Science Channel. Episodes 2 (“Return of the Moon Bugs”), 4 (“Ghosts on a Comet”), 5 (“The Moon that Disappeared”), 7 (“Red Storm Rising”)
- 2016: “U to develop auto-compression clothes”, Minnesota Daily, 19 April 2016.
- 2017: U of M develops wearable technology to help autism
- 2014: Gizmodo Feature: “Shrink-wrapping spacesuits”
- 2014: The Science Channel Miniseries Episode: “Man vs. the Universe [episode 3] - Mars is Ours”
- 2012: Popular Science Feature: “The Deep-Space Suit”
- 2011: Fargo Form Guest Editorial: “A Sunrise for Space Program”
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2016-2018: 3M Non-tenured Faculty Grant Award
- 2015: MIT Man-Vehicle Laboratory Sherwood A. Modestino “Sherry” Award
- 2015: First Place, NSBRI Post-Doctoral Poster Competition, NASA Human Research Program Investigators’ Workshop
- 2013: First Place, NSBRI Graduate Student Poster Competition, NASA Human Research Program Investigators’ Workshop
- 2011: NASA Space Technology Research Fellowship (NSTRF) Recipient
- 2007: MIT Aero/Astro Apollo Award
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- 2016: Member, MnDRIVE Robotics, Sensors, and Advanced Manufacturing Research and Outreach Committee.
- 2016: Co-Convener, UMN Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) Physical Computing and the Internet of Things Research and Creative Collaborative.
- 2016: Member, Committee on Aerospace Medicine and the Medicine of Extreme Environments (CAMMEE), National Academy of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
- 2016: Present: Member, Human Factors and Ergonomics Graduate Advisory Committee
- 2015: Member, Committee to Review NASA’s Evidence Reports on Human Health Risks – Decompression sickness report lead, Institute of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
Specialties & Expertise:
Wearable Technology, Active Materials, Space Suit Design, Extravehicular Activity / Bioastronautics, Human Factors Design and Engineering, Medical Devices, Soft Robotics
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108