Becky L. Yust
Professor Emerita, Interior Design and Housing Studies
- Yust, B. L. (forthcoming). Multifamily housing design. In K. Anacker, A. Carswell, K. Tremblay, & S. Kirby (Eds.), Introduction to housing (2nd Edition). Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Cook, C., Bruin, M., & Yust, B. (forthcoming). Housing affordability. In K. Anacker, A. Carswell, K. Tremblay, & S. Kirby (Eds.), Introduction to housing (2nd Edition). Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Carswell, A., Yust, B., & Turcotte, D. (2013). A content review and impact analysis of Housing and Society through 40 years. Housing and Society, 40, 232-245.
- Skobba, K., Bruin, L., & Yust, B. (2013). Beyond renting and owning: The housing accommodations of low-income families. Journal of Poverty, 17, 234-252. doi: 10.1080/10875549.2013.775992
- Yust, B. L. (2012). Crowding. In A. T. Carswell (Ed.), Encyclopedia of housing (2nd Ed.), pp. 110-113. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. (3000 words)
- Yust, B. L. (2012). Environmental contamination: Lead. In A. T. Carswell (Ed.), Encyclopedia of housing (2nd Ed.), pp. 169-171. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Cook, C. C., Bruin, M., & Yust, B. L. (2012). Housing adjustment theory. In A. T. Carswell (Ed.), Encyclopedia of housing (2nd Ed.), pp. 336-338. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Crull, S., Cook, C., Bruin, M., Yust, B., Shelly, M., Laux, S., Memken, J., Niemeyer, S., & White, B. (2009). Evidence of a housing decision chain in rural community vitality. Rural Sociology, 74(1), 113-137.
- Yust, B., Bruin, M., Bellefuil, S., & Dodor, B. (2008). The Emerging Markets Homeownership Initiative: Pilot Organization and Participant Experiences. CURA Reporter, 38(3-4), 3-9.
- Cook, C., Steggel, C., Suarez, A., & Yust, B. (2005). Housing affordability. In Merrill, J., Crull, S., Tremblay, K., Tyler, L., & Carswell, A. (Eds.), Introduction to Housing (pp.225-256). New York: Prentice Hall.
- Jordan, C., Yust, B., Robison, L., Hannan, P., & Deinard, A. (2003). A randomized trial of education to prevent lead burden in high risk children: Efficacy as measured by blood lead monitoring. Environmental Health Perspectives, 111(16), 1947-1951.
- Yust, B., Guerin, D., & Coopet, J. (2002). Residential energy consumption: 1987 to 1997. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 30(3), 323-350.
- Hartje, S., Yust, B., Goetz, E., & Franklin, E. (2001). Twin tragedies in the Twin Cities: Childhood lead poisoning and the loss of affordable rental housing. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 29(3), 230-251.
- Guerin, D., Yust, B., & Coopet, J. (2000). Occupant predictors of household energy behavior and consumption change as found in energy studies since 1975. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 29(1), 48-80.
Resident and outreach teaching.
- HSG 4461 Housing Development and Management
- HSG 4467W/5467 Housing and the Social Environment
- HSG 5471 Housing Studies Certificate Seminar
- DES 8181 Research and Ethics
- IDes 2613 Interior Structures, Systems, and Life Safety
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Housing and Society, Journal of the Housing Education and Research Association, Editor, 2008 to present.
- Sustainable Resources Center, Board of Directors, 2012 to present.
- Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity, Housing Matters! Advisory Team, member, 2008.
- St. Paul District 9 Comprehensive Plan Committee, Chair, 2004 to 2006.
- Housing Studies Program Committee, 1982 to present.
Selected Honors and Awards
- West 7th Community Center Outstanding Service to the Community Award, 2013.
- UM Women’s Faculty Cabinet Leadership Award, 2011.
- The American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Blue Ribbon Award for the Educational Aids Competition, The House Handbook, 2006.
- West 7th/Fort Road Federation Exceptional Service to the Community Award, 2002.
- College of Human Ecology Educational Leadership Award, 1997.