Barry M. Kudrowitz
Professor, Product Design
Head of the Department of Graphic Design, Apparel Design, Retail Merchandising, and Product Design
- Kudrowitz, B. & Dippo, C. (2014). When Does a Paper Clip become a Sundial? Exploring the Progression of Novelty in the Alternative Uses Test. Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science: Special Issue on Applications and Theory of Computational Creativity. 17(4), 3-18.
- Kudrowitz, B. (2014). Emerging Technology in Toy Design. In J. Follett (Ed), Designing for Emerging Technologies. (237-254) O’Reilly Media.
- Kudrowitz, B. (2013). How (some) board games can help us be (more) innovative. In C. McCarthy and T. Rawson (Eds.). Insights Magazine, Vol 7 (12-16). Innovation Learning Network.
- Kudrowitz, B., Te, P., & Wallace, D. (2012). The Influence of Sketch Quality on Perception of Product-Idea Creativity. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design and Manufacturing: Special Issue on Sketching. 26(3), 267-279. Most downloaded of AI EDAM 2012.
- Kudrowitz, B. & Wallace, D. (2012). Assessing the Quality of Ideas from Prolific, Early Stage Product Ideation. Journal of Engineering Design: Special Issue on Design Creativity. 24(2), 120-139.
- Ludden, G., Kudrowitz, B., Schifferstein, H., & Hekkert, P. (2012). Surprise and Humor in Product Design. Humor: The International Journal of Humor. 25(3), 285–309.
- Kudrowitz, B. & Wallace, D. (2010). The Play Pyramid: A Play Classification and Ideation Tool for Toy Design. The Journal of Arts and Technology. 3(1), 36-56.
- Alfalah, S., Kudrowitz, B., & Vickers, Z. (November 2015). Playful Design and Children’s (dis)Liking of Vegetables. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Food Design. New York, NY.
- Pilgrim-Rukavina, N. & Kudrowitz, B. (November 2015). Exploring the effects of warm-up games, criticism and group discussion on brainstorming productivity. IASDR InterPlay 2015, Brisbane, Australia.
- Dippo, C. & Kudrowitz, B. (2015). The Effects of Elaboration in Creativity Tests as it Pertains to Overall Scores and How it Might Prevent a Person From Thinking of Creative Ideas During the Early Stages of Brainstorming and Idea Generation. ASME Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Design Theory and Methodology 2015, Boston, MA
- Kudrowitz, B., Oxborough, A., Stover, E. & Choi, J. (2014, June). The Chef as Designer: Classifying the Techniques that Chefs use in Creating Innovative Dishes. Design Research Society Conference 2014, UMEA.
- Kudrowitz, B. & Wallace, D. (2010, October). Improvisational Comedy and Product Design Ideation: Making Non-Obvious Connections between Seemingly Unrelated Things. International Conference on Design and Emotion. Chicago.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Associate Editor, Food and Design Journal, 2014-present
- Leonardo’s Basement, MSP Workshop, Advisory Board, 2014 - Present
- Chair, Product Design Graduate/Undergraduate Minor Committee, 2011-Present
- Member, DHA Curriculum Committee, 2014 - Present
- Guest Curator, Minneapolis Institute of Art, 2014-2015, “Thinking on Paper, Leonardo da Vinci’s Codex Leicester”
Selected Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Teaching, College of Design, University of Minnesota (2015)
- Founder’s Day Teaching Award, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota (2015)
Barry M. Kudrowitz
Specialties & Expertise:
Perception, Evaluation, and Testing of Creativity, Play and Humor in Design, Creativity and Idea Generation Tools, Design of Food, Concept Visualization and Sketching, Product Design Education