Ann C. Ziebarth
"I am a housing studies major and have also had her for DHA 5484. She is a great prof if you get to know her. She is also a great asset when looking into concentrations and career opportunities. Her classes are straight-forward but require more work than other DHA courses. Show up to class and read everything! She's a lot of fun."
"I wasn't interested in the class prior to attending - but found myself actually interested in some of the content throughout the semester. It is definitely a class in which going to the lectures helps a TON when it comes to the assignments and tests, but overall the course is not too difficult. She is approachable and helpful."
"Very friendly and approachable, and is a pretty good lecturer. She's a bit fast but the classes are manageable as long as you study hard-I recommend going to class everyday. This class is quite interesting and covers a variety of housing topics that I really liked learning about."
- Gkartzios, M. & Ziebarth, A. (2016). Brown, D.L. & Shucksmith (Ed). International Handbook of Rural Studies. (pp.495-508). New York: Routledge.
- Hwang, E. & Ziebarth, A. (2016). Walkability features for seniors in two livable communities: A case study. Housing and Society 42(3), 207-221.
- Ziebarth, A. (2015). Renting in Rural America. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 44(1), 88-104.
- Ziebarth, A. & Crump, C. (2015 Fall). Rural Midwest Housing Remains Complex and Diverse. Rural Voices. 20(3),14-19.
- MacTavish, K., Ziebarth, A. & George, L. (2014). In C. Bailey, L. Jensen, & R. Ransom (Eds.) Rural America in a Globalizing World. (pp 677-692). Morgantown, WV: University of West Virginia Press.
- Ziebarth, A. (2013, Fall). Review of the book Inclusionary Housing in International Perspective: Affordable Housing, Social Inclusion, and Land Value Recapture. Cambridge: Lincoln Institute of Land Policy. Journal of Planning & Educational Research 33(33), 367-369.
- Deller, S., Erkkila, D., Gartner, B., Green, G., Marcouiller, D., Skidmore, M., Vogt, C., Winkler, M., & Ziebarth, A. (2013). Recreational Homes, Amenities, and Destination Regions. N4012-01. Madison: UWExtension Cooperative Extension.
- Ziebarth, A. (2012). Rural Housing in A.T. Canswell (Ed). Encyclopedia of Housing (2nd Edition) pp. 642-647.
- Choi, Y., Ziebarth, A., Hwang, E., & Koh, S. (2012). Intentions of Nursing Home Entry Among Elderly Residents in Jeju, Korea. Housing & Society. 993 (1) pp. 29-49.
- Ziebarth, A. & Steggell, C. (Eds.) (2012). A Field Guide to Housing Theory (2nd Edition)
- Ziebarth, A. (2010). Exurbanization, Homeownership and the Working Poor. In D.W. Marcouiller, M. Lapping, and O. Furuseth (Eds.) Rural Housing, Exurbanization and Amenity-Driven Development (pp. 175-192). Burlington, VT: Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Ziebarth, A. (2010). Discourse, Discrimination, & Domicide. Paper presented at International Sociology Association World Congress. Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Ziebarth, A. (2009). Housing heroines: A tradition of social action research. Housing and Society, 36(1), 57-74.
- Ziebarth, A. (2006). Housing seasonal workers for the Minnesota processed vegetable industry. Rural Sociology. 71(2), 335-357.
- Hwang, E. & Ziebarth, A. (2006). The impacts of different aspects of residential environments on housing satisfaction among Korean American Elders. Housing and Society, 33(2), 53-72.
Resident and outreach teaching.
- HSG 2401 Introduction to Housing
- HSG 4465 Housing in a Global Perspective
- HSG 5160 Special Topics Health and Housing
- HSG 5484 Rural Housing Issues
- HSG 8467 Theoretical Perspectives in Housing Studies
- HSEM 3010 Women, Housing, & Public Policy
- DES 1905 The Big House: Prisons and Housing
- DES 1905 Beyond the Suburbs: Living and Working in Rural America
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter, Co-Advisor, 2012-2014.
- Housing Studies Program, Program Director, 2010-2013.
- College of Design Faculty Consultative Committee, 2010-2011.
- Housing Education & Research Association, President, 2009-2010.
- University Faculty Senate, 2008-2011.
- Rural Sociology Society, Membership chair, 2008-2009, 2011-2012, A. (2015).
- College of Design Diversity Committee, chair, 2006-2007, member 2010-2011.
- Reviewer for Introduction to Housing textbook, 2005.
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2016 Housing Impact Award from the Housing Education and Research Association (HERA).
Specialties & Expertise:
Housing Issues in Small Towns & Rural Places, Housing Policy, Rural Sociology, Renting in Rural America, Migrant Worker Housing, Employer Assisted Housing
246F McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108