Graduate Funding FAQs

Mural of the University of Minnesota by Truman Artwork Company.

Frequently Asked Funding Questions

Expand all

How much do graduate programs cost?

Tuition costs vary by school year and are based on the number of credits you plan to take. Students who are residents of Minnesota or who live in an area with reciprocity agreements are eligible for reduced tuition costs compared to non-residents. Learn more about tuition and how costs are determined.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money provided to a student in order to pay for college expenses. There are several types of financial aid, and most students are eligible to receive at least some form of financial aid. Learn more about financial aid.

What are research and teaching assistantships?

Research and teaching assistantships are available to students at the University so that while pursuing an advanced degree, the University employs you to teach and conduct research. Research assistants help a faculty member with their research. Duties may include tasks like collecting, analyzing, and reporting data. Teaching assistants assist an instructor with instructional responsibilities.

How do I find a research and teaching assistantship position?

Your graduate program may offer you an assistantship as part of your admission and acceptance into the program. Other avenues to find research and teaching assistantships include:

  • Contacting your graduate program coordinator to ask about any current opportunities
  • Visiting the University student job search page to search and apply for open positions
  • Networking within departments and with current and former professors 
  • Researching current projects that faculty, centers, and labs are leading and inquiring about openings and opportunities
  • Utilizing the Graduate Assistant Employment Office to find assistantships that you are eligible for and application requirements

What is a fellowship?

A fellowship provides financial support to graduate students to pursue graduate studies without associated teaching or research responsibilities (as is the case with research and teaching assistantships).

How do I find a fellowship?

Thanks to the generosity of our donors the college has a number of fellowships set-up to support our graduate students. For the vast majority of our fellowships, students are automatically considered based on their graduate program and interests so there is no need to apply for them separately. For those fellowships that do require an application, notices are sent out by our graduate program directors over email. See our full list of fellowships.

The University of Minnesota Graduate School also administers a number of University-wide fellowships and grants. Learn more about University fellowships.