About the minor
The Museum Studies graduate minor explores the history, philosophy, operations, and functions of museums—broadly defined to include art, science, history, specialized museums, and others.
Please note, the Museum Studies Graduate Minor and all courses required for the minor will be paused through the 2022 and 2023 academic years. Students will not be able to declare this minor during this time.
The internship requirement is integral to the Museum Studies minor. We recommend that all graduate students admitted to this minor plan ahead for their internship using the checklist and resources.
- Meet with the museum studies director prior to the semester in which you wish to complete the internship to discuss your internship goals and ideas.
- Meet with the potential internship site supervisor to discuss the possibility of an internship.
- Arrange the details of the internship with the site supervisor and draft the Internship Agreement. Include learning goals, responsibilities, projects, dates, and hours. Have the site supervisor sign it.
- Have the agreement approved and signed by the museum studies director.
- Register for MST 5020 for 1–4 credits. Each credit requires 45 hours of internship work.
- At the end of the semester, email two reports to the museum studies director. These two evaluations must reach the museum studies director before a grade will be assigned for the course:
- Send five or six double-spaced pages stating in detail what you did during your internship and how well the experience met your expectations and perceived needs.
- Forward your site supervisor’s one-page summary of the internship duties and performance including an estimate of the time completed.
- Hennepin History Museum
- Minnesota Children's Museum
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- The Museum of Russian Art
- Science Museum of Minnesota
- Springboard for the Arts
- Tweed Museum of Art (UMD)
- Walker Art Center
- Weisman Art Museum
University of Minnesota museums and galleries
- Bell Museum of Natural History
- College of Biological Sciences Conservatory
- Gabbert Raptor Center
- Goldstein Museum of Design
- Katherine E. Nash Gallery
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
- Weisman Art Museum
Museum professional organizations
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Association of State and Local History
- American Public Gardens Association
- Association of Academic Museums and Galleries
- Association of Midwest Museums
- Association for Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums
- Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- International Council of Museums
- Minnesota Association of Museums
- Museum Computer Network
- Smithsonian Center for Museum Studies
- Visitor Studies Association
- World Archeological Congress