To request permission to depart from degree requirements and procedures or to petition acceptance of a transfer course, you need to fill out an Academic Policy Petition form. Meet with your advisor to discuss the petition and, if needed, obtain your advisor’s comments and signature. Submit your completed and signed petition along with any relevant documentation to 12 McNeal Hall or 107 Rapson Hall. Petitions are normally reviewed on a weekly basis by the College of Design Student Scholastic Standing Committee.

Studio coursework evaluation

We review studio coursework for students who are already admitted to a design major. Upon review of your academic record, if studio courses are identified, we will send you instructions for the review. 

Testing Out of U of M Courses

For Credit:  Testing out of a U of M course for credit excuses you from taking the course and gives you credit for the course. The University also recognizes and awards credits for Advanced Placement (AP) exams, the International Baccalaureate Program, College in the Schools (CIS), Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO), and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Grades earned through PSED and CIS at the U of M do appear on your transcript and count toward your U of M grade point average. For more information, contact College of Design Student Services.

No-credit Exemption (“Waiving”):  Testing out of a U of M course for exemption excuses you from the requirement of taking a course, but it does NOT confer credit. For information about exemption testing contact College of Design Student Services.