In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the College of Design has collected resources to help support our students, faculty, and staff. For the most recent University updates and an archive of previous University communications visit the University's COVID-19 Updates webpage.
Top Things to Know
Updated May 12, 2022
- Mask requirements on campus: Starting May 12, 2022, the University has lifted the majority of its indoor mask requirements. Masks will still be required in posted healthcare settings, in settings where Personal Protective Equipment is required due to environmental or hazardous material conditions, and in isolation and quarantine spaces. Per the University’s previous mask requirements, individuals may choose whether to wear masks in other indoor and outdoor spaces and events. Learn more about the University's masking requirements.
- Proof of vaccination: Due to a federal contract mandate, all University of Minnesota faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate student workers, adjuncts, professionals in training, and postdoctoral associates must submit proof of vaccination. A process for requesting a medical or religious exemption is available (with testing requirements for those that qualify for an exemption). The University also asks that all students, staff, and faculty get a booster shot as soon as they are eligible. The Get the Vax website can help answer any questions you or your family may have about the vaccines and boosters.
- Updated isolation and quarantine guidance: Based on the advice of public health authorities and the University’s medical and public health experts, the University has updated its isolation and quarantine guidance. For more information, read President Gabel's January 12, 2022 message.
- College of Design space schedules: Both McNeal and Rapson Hall are accessible to College of Design students, faculty, and staff 24 hours a day by using their U Card. However, the college's administrative, program, lab, shop, and center offices each have their own public and by-appointment hours. Due to the flexibility in staff and faculty schedules, not all staff and faculty will be available during public hours in any given space, so please plan and communicate ahead of time as appropriate. View current space schedules.
- Building access: The University is working to balance public access to campus with greater security and will offer limited public hours in certain buildings while allowing some buildings to require a U Card to enter. All faculty, staff, and students should carry their U Card at all times when on campus, to ensure access.
resources and communication
Collected below are resources for College of Design students. For the latest COVID-19 updates for all Twin Cities students, visit the University's Safe Campus website.
- Boynton Health FAQS on testing, isolation, & exposure
- CDes technology resources
- Graduate School FAQs for graduate students
- Housing and residential life
- International student resources
- Mental health concerns
- Next steps for students who have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed
- Physical health concerns
- Remote learning assistance
- Travel and learning abroad plans
- Undergraduate academic advisors
- Understanding the different class modalities
Faculty and Staff Resources
The University has compiled resources on its Safe Campus website. We have also collected below direct links to the most requested resources from faculty and staff. For administrative, program, and center office hours visit the College of Design Contact Us webpage.
- CDes technology resources for AY 2021–2022
- Classroom best practices guide for teaching remote/online/blended and in-person courses
- COVID-19 Prevention and Wellbeing
- Event planning guidance
- Information for faculty and instructors with family responsibilities
- Office for Public Engagement guide
- Staff and Faculty COVID-19 FAQs—please note, you will need to login to the CDes Intranet in order to view this document.
- UMN employee assistance program /mental health concerns
- UMN employee workplace guidance