In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic the College of Design has collected resources to help support our faculty, staff, and students. You will also find a list of previous communications from College of Design leadership for easy access. For the most recent University updates and an archive of previous University communications visit the University's COVID-19 Updates webpage.
Top Things to Know
Updated July 29, 2021
- Back on campus in Fall 2021: The University of Minnesota announced on March 12, 2021, that all of its campuses (Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Rochester, and the Twin Cities) are planning to return to fully on-campus operations this fall. Read the full news release.
- Building access: The University is working to balance public access to campus with greater security and will offer limited public hours in certain buildings, while allowing some buildings to require a U Card to enter. All faculty, staff, and students should carry their U Card at all times when on campus, to ensure access. If you need a U Card, avoid the lines, upload your photo, and pick up your card early, if possible.
- Vaccination information: The University of Minnesota continues to strongly encourage all members of our community to get vaccinated. The vaccine is safe, prevents serious illness or death, and ensures we are all safer as a community. Our “Get the Vax website” can help answer any questions you or your family may have about the vaccines. Schedule a vaccination appointment at Boynton Health.
- Mask guidance on campus: Unvaccinated individuals should wear a mask indoors at all times. Vaccinated individuals may decide not to do so, or they may wear a mask if they choose. All individuals, regardless of their vaccination status, must wear a mask when a given space is officially posted as requiring mask usage. Please be supportive of mask wearing in any context. Learn more by visiting the face coverings information webpage.
- Work. With Flexibility: As staff return to campus, the University of Minnesota issued Work. With Flexibility. guidance to govern flexible work arrangements. Rather than create a one-size fits-all plan, College of Design supervisors will work with the staff members within their units, and with other units they cooperate with, to draft a flexible working plan that works for them.
- Prepare your technology. With many employees returning to campus for some or all work, now is the time to ensure that devices are updated and can connect to campus wifi, and that devices can connect to a printer. The Return to Campus: Technology Pointers webpage contains instructions and guidance to help address common technical issues.
resources and communication
Collected below are resources for College of Design students. For the latest COVID-19 updates for all Twin Cities students, visit the University's Student Information page.
Resources for All Students
- CDes technology resources
- Fabrication shop resources
- Housing and residential life
- Managing financial stress
- Maroon and Gold Sunrise Plan
- Mental health concerns
- Next steps for students living on-campus who have symptoms or have been exposed
- Next steps for students living off-campus who have symptoms or have been exposed
- Physical health concerns
- Remote learning
- Travel and learning abroad plans
- Understanding the different class modalities
Undergraduate Student Resources
Graduate Student Resources
Faculty and Staff Resources
The University has compiled resources for all University employees and resources for University instructors on its Safe Campus website. We have also collected below direct links to the most requested resources from faculty and staff.
Resources for All Faculty & Staff
- CDes technology resources for Fall 2020
- Classroom best practices guide for teaching remote/online/blended and in-person courses
- Fabrication shop resources for Fall 2020
- Information for faculty and instructors with family responsibilities
- Office for Public Engagement guide
- UMN faculty and staff FAQs
- UMN COVID-19 guidance for research
- UMN working remotely
- UMN employee travel costs and COVID-19
- UMN employee assistance program /mental health concerns
Emails From College of Design Leadership
Message from Dean Strohecker Welcoming Students Back to Campus | September 4, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with Technology Resources for Fall 2020 | September 2, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Miller with CDes Sunrise Guide for Faculty and Staff | September 1, 2020
Message from Associate Dean Chu about Planning for Fall 2020 | May 18, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | May 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 22, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 7, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with an Important Zoom Update | March 25, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Day One of Resumed Classes | March 18, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Working Remotely and IT Trainings | March 15, 2020