In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic the College of Design has collected resources to help support our faculty, staff, and students. You will also find a list of previous communications from College of Design leadership for easy access. For the most recent University updates and an archive of previous University communications visit the University's COVID-19 Updates webpage.
Top Five Things to Know
Updated April 22, 2021
- Back on campus in Fall 2021: The University of Minnesota announced on March 12, 2021, that all of its campuses (Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Rochester, and the Twin Cities) are planning to return to fully on-campus operations this fall. Read the full news release.
- 2021 Commencement: We are pleased to announce that the College of Design will be hosting a hybrid commencement ceremony for undergraduate and graduate students this year, which has been scheduled for Wednesday, May 12, 2021. Learn more about 2021 Commencement plans.
- University vaccine clinics: While vaccine allocation to the University varies week-to-week (i.e., limited to none), the state of Minnesota has multiple programs aimed at connecting Minnesotans with the vaccine. The state’s Vaccine Connector will help people find out when, where, and how to get a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Work from home: All employees who can work from home should continue to do so through August 2, 2021. If you need to return to campus sooner than August 2 to conduct your work, please work with your supervisor to coordinate a return and to update your unit’s sunrise plan as needed.
- Sunrise Plan: Twin Cities faculty, staff, postdoctoral students, and graduate assistants should follow the unit-level process to request to return to their worksite. This includes a new form to make the request. Additionally, University daytime summer camps, activities, events and recreation centers can apply to resume operations. Guidance for department in-person, on-campus events can be found here.
resources and communication
Collected below are resources for College of Design students. For the latest COVID-19 updates for all Twin Cities students, visit the University's Student Information page.
Spring Hours for Rapson & McNeal Hall
Resources for All Students
- CDes technology resources
- Fabrication shop resources
- Housing and residential life
- Managing financial stress
- Maroon and Gold Sunrise Plan
- Mental health concerns
- Next steps for students living on-campus who have symptoms or have been exposed
- Next steps for students living off-campus who have symptoms or have been exposed
- Physical health concerns
- Remote learning
- Travel and learning abroad plans
- Understanding the different class modalities
Undergraduate Student Resources
Graduate Student Resources
Faculty and Staff Resources
The University has compiled resources for all University employees and resources for University instructors on its Safe Campus website. We have also collected below direct links to the most requested resources from faculty and staff.
Resources for All Faculty & Staff
- CDes COVID-19 Fall 2020 sunrise planning
- CDes technology resources for Fall 2020
- Classroom best practices guide for teaching remote/online/blended and in-person courses
- Fabrication shop resources for Fall 2020
- Fall 2020 Restore Plan for Community-Based and Field-Based Experiential Learning (non-clinical)
- Information for faculty and instructors with family responsibilities
- Office for Public Engagement guide
- UMN faculty and staff FAQs
- UMN COVID-19 guidance for research
- UMN working remotely
- UMN employee travel costs and COVID-19
- UMN employee assistance program /mental health concerns
Emails From College of Design Leadership
Message from Dean Strohecker Welcoming Students Back to Campus | September 4, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with Technology Resources for Fall 2020 | September 2, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Miller with CDes Sunrise Guide for Faculty and Staff | September 1, 2020
Message from Associate Dean Chu about Planning for Fall 2020 | May 18, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | May 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 22, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 7, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with an Important Zoom Update | March 25, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Day One of Resumed Classes | March 18, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Working Remotely and IT Trainings | March 15, 2020