In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the College of Design has collected resources to help support our students, faculty, and staff. You will also find a list of previous COVID-19 related communications from College of Design leadership for easy access. For the most recent University updates and an archive of previous University communications visit the University's COVID-19 Updates webpage.
Top Things to Know
Updated October 22, 2021
- Proof of vaccination: To comply with President Joe Biden's executive order that all federal contractors and subcontractors show proof of employee vaccination the University will in the coming weeks require all faculty and staff systemwide to submit proof of vaccination. The federal contract mandate requires covered employees to be fully vaccinated no later than December 8, 2021. A process for requesting a medical or religious exemption will be available (with testing requirements for those that qualify for an exemption). Read President Gabel's full message.
- Face coverings: On August 2, 2021, the University announced that face coverings are required when in any University building regardless of vaccination status. Read the updated guidance on face masks.
- Vaccination information: The University continues to strongly encourage all members of our community to get vaccinated, and has added the COVID-19 vaccine to those already required for students. The vaccine is safe, prevents serious illness or death, and ensures we are all safer as a community. The “Get the Vax 2.0 website” can help answer any questions you or your family may have about the vaccines. Vaccinations are available at Boynton Health.
- Informing others of exposure: In addition to getting vaccinated and wearing a mask, notifying close contacts following a positive test result for COVID-19 is another important step University community members can take to protect our community. It is also the right thing to do. On October 4, 2021, the University released updated guidance on being informed and informing others of potential exposure.
- College of Design space schedules: Both McNeal Hall and Rapson Hall are accessible to College of Design students, faculty, and staff 24 hours a day by using their U Card. However, the college's administrative, program, lab, shop, and center offices each has its own public and by-appointment hours. Due to the flexibility in staff and faculty schedules, not all staff and faculty will be available during public hours in any given space, so please plan and communicate ahead of time as appropriate. View current space schedules.
- Building access: The University is working to balance public access to campus with greater security and will offer limited public hours in certain buildings while allowing some buildings to require a U Card to enter. All faculty, staff, and students should carry their U Card at all times when on campus, to ensure access.
- Prepare your technology. With many employees returning to campus for some or all work, now is the time to ensure that devices are updated and can connect to campus wifi, and that devices can connect to a printer. The Return to Campus: Technology Pointers webpage contains instructions and guidance to help address common technical issues.
resources and communication
Collected below are resources for College of Design students. For the latest COVID-19 updates for all Twin Cities students, visit the University's Safe Campus website.
- Boynton Health FAQS on testing, isolation, & exposure
- CDes technology resources
- Graduate School FAQs for graduate students
- Housing and residential life
- International student resources
- Mental health concerns
- Next steps for students who have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed
- Physical health concerns
- Remote learning assistance
- Travel and learning abroad plans
- Undergraduate academic advisors
- Understanding the different class modalities
Faculty and Staff Resources
The University has compiled resources for University instructors on its Safe Campus website. We have also collected below direct links to the most requested resources from faculty and staff. For administrative, program, and center office hours visit the College of Design Contact Us webpage.
- CDes technology resources for AY 2021–2022
- Classroom best practices guide for teaching remote/online/blended and in-person courses
- Information for faculty and instructors with family responsibilities
- Office for Public Engagement guide
- Staff and Faculty COVID-19 FAQs—please note, you will need to login to the CDes Intranet in order to view this document.
- UMN employee travel costs and COVID-19
- UMN employee assistance program /mental health concerns
Emails From College of Design Leadership
Message from Dean Strohecker Welcoming Students Back to Campus | September 4, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with Technology Resources for Fall 2020 | September 2, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Miller with CDes Sunrise Guide for Faculty and Staff | September 1, 2020
Message from Associate Dean Chu about Planning for Fall 2020 | May 18, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | May 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 22, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 7, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with an Important Zoom Update | March 25, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Day One of Resumed Classes | March 18, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Working Remotely and IT Trainings | March 15, 2020