Presented by the Design Student & Alumni Board (DSAB).
The College of Design Mentor Program is an excellent opportunity for students to develop professional skills through the guidance of a mentor who is a part of the design, retail, or housing industry. Working with a mentor can provide direct knowledge about working in your area of interest and help with writing your resume and cover letter; offer interviewing tips specific to your industry; introduce and connect you to other professionals in the field; and assist you in developing professional, communication, and relationship skills.
Eligibility for Student Participation
- College of Design students who are an undergraduate junior or senior, or graduate students
- Attend a mandatory information session* AND submit a completed online application
- Commit to connecting with your mentor once a month (in-person, email, or Skype)
*If you are a new student in the mentor program, you are required to attend a mandatory information session. If you participated in the College of Design Mentor Program within the last two years, you only need to complete the online application.
Expectations as a Student Participant
- Attend a mandatory information session (first-time participants only).
- Submit a completed online application (due in September).
- Meet with your mentor at the kick-off event or arrange your first meeting during that week.
- Continue meeting monthly with your mentor (in-person, email, or Skype) from November through April.
- Discuss your needs and expectations with your mentor up front.
- Act professionally throughout the program and respond to your mentor in a timely manner.
- Be receptive to suggestions and feedback.
- Understand that the mentor program is NOT a job placement program.
- Attend a mandatory information session (if you are new to the program).
- Complete the online application. Eligible students will receive a link via email in September.
- After the application deadline, we will review your application and notify you whether or not you have been matched with a mentor by mid-October.
- If you receive email notification that you have been matched with a mentor, directions for next steps will be included.
- Mentors: Application for new and returning members.
- Time Commitment and Expectations
- Students: Eligible students will receive an emailed invitation with an application link in September.
- Requirements for Student Participants
Resources and Training Handbooks
- Program Handbook
- Suggested Activities
- Mentoring Guide Mobile App
(download for free)
- The College of Design blog
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association (UMAA) Mentor Connection
- College of Design Academic Programs
Director of Alumni Relations