New Transfer Students

What to do Next

Confirm Your Enrollment

We hope you decide to attend the University of Minnesota and join the College of Design community. Confirm your enrollment today to reserve your spot. If you have any questions, contact the Office of Admissions by calling 612-625-2008 or 1-800-752-1000, or visit the Office of Admissions. (Note: This is not required for students transferring from a U of M system campus). 

Dive into Your Major

Discover more about your major program. Read news about your program and get a head start on meeting your future professors, classmates, and College of Design alumni!

Learn About Our Computer Standards

Our faculty select computer and software options that are the best fit for the coursework and projects in your major. Requirements and recommendations vary by major. Please review the College of Design's hardware and software requirements and recommendations.

Initiate Your U of M Internet Account and Email

U of M email is our official means of communication with you. Be sure to check it often for important information.

Students transferring from outside of the U of M–Twin Cities:

It is very important that you:

  • Set up your U of M email account right away.
    • Students transferring from a U of M system campus:

      You will need to change your campus/email domain to U of M–Twin Cities. If you follow these instructions and do not receive a response within a few business days, check your spam folder.

      Contact the U of M Technology Help Desk if you need assistance.


      Transfer orientation includes both online and on-campus programs; completion of both are required in order to register for the coming term. Orientation will be held in mid-July and late August. You will receive details if you are eligible to attend orientation.

      Transfer Coursework

      Use Transferology to see how transfer courses from other schools may fulfill U of M liberal education (general) requirements. For classes not listed in Transferology or on regional transfer guides, admitted students can submit course materials to be reviewed by faculty.

      The Office of Admissions reviews your transfer courses to determine transferability of credit to fulfill elective and/or liberal education requirements. You will receive a transfer credit report that outlines the outcome of that course review.

      Separately, the College of Design will review your transcript to identify studio coursework taken outside of the U of M–Twin Cities that may possibly fulfill a major requirement(s). If you have such coursework, you will receive an email from with instructions for submitting the coursework for faculty review. Please submit your coursework as promptly as possible.

      If you believe you have transferable studio-based courses but have not received an instructional email within two weeks of your admission notice, please contact


      • It is not common for faculty to approve transfer studio courses to meet upper-division major requirements.
      • Non-studio based major courses may be petitioned through your academic advisor once you begin your courses in the College of Design.


      Questions? Contact the College of Design transfer admissions counselor at 612-626-3605, or