Twin Cities Campus Transfer Students
We’re excited to have you in the College of Design and wish you much success as you pursue your undergraduate degree.
The information below will likely answer many of the questions you have at this point in the enrollment process. Please review this it before contacting your academic advisor.
- Academic Advising
- Major Requirements and Degree Progress
- Review of Transfer Courses for Your Major
- Major-Specific Information
After receiving your admission email, check your MyU to see who your academic advisor is. Please allow two weeks for the advisor assignment to appear on your portal.
To get off to a great start in the College of Design, our advisors recommend that you:
- Connect with your advisor. As a new student, you’ll be required to meet once with your advisor during your first year. Beyond this, it’s up to you. Advisors are here to support you, so take advantage of this great resource.
- Stay up-to-date on your umn.edu email account. Email is the U’s official means of communication with you. Watch it for scholarship deadlines, events related to your major, critical information from your academic advisor, and more.
- Read emails from CDes News for college and major-specific information.
- Get involved in your major and across campus.
Major Requirements and Degree Progress
The four-year plan for your major indicates which courses you need to take and when. It works together with the APAS report, which is an online checklist of the degree requirements you have (not) completed. It is your responsibility to monitor your APAS report in order to track your degree progress. If you're not already familiar with APAS, you may view this tutorial.
The College of Design will update your APAS as soon as possible following your admission notification. This may take up to 5 business days. If you would like to see how your classes transfer to your College of Design major prior to that, generate a "What If" version of your APAS.
Review of Transfer Courses for Your Major
Once admitted, we will review your transcript to identify studio coursework taken outside of the University that may possibly fulfill a major requirement(s). If you have such coursework, you will receive an email from email@example.com with instructions for submitting the coursework for faculty review. Please submit your coursework as promptly as possible.
If you believe you have transferable studio-based courses but have not received an instructional email within two weeks of your admission notice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It is not common for faculty to approve transfer studio courses to meet upper-division major requirements.
- Non-studio based major courses may be petitioned through your academic advisor once you begin your courses in the College of Design.
- Courses that may fulfill liberal education requirements are reviewed by the Office of Admissions.
- Apparel Design
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
- Landscape Design and Planning
- Product Design
- Retail Merchandising
Contact your College of Design academic advisor.