In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic the College of Design has collected resources to help support our faculty, staff, and students. You will also find a list of previous communications from College of Design leadership for easy access. For the most recent University updates and an archive of previous University communications visit the University's COVID-19 Updates webpage. For statewide updates and health best practices please visit the Minnesota Department of Health's website.
Top Five Things to Know
Updated January 12, 2021
- Spring 2021 Semester: On January 19, 2021, the University of Minnesota will welcome students to a new semester of remote, hybrid, and in-person classes. In preparation for the spring semester, the University has developed the Spring 2021 COVID-19 Guide for students to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Testing: The University is offering COVID-19 saliva testing. This program is part of the overall testing strategy for the University, which also includes MTest.
- Employee Emergency Paid Leave: Starting January 1, 2021, full- and part-time employees will again have access to up to two weeks of University Emergency Paid Leave. Read more information about employee emergency paid leave.
- Work from home: All employees who can work from home should continue doing so until the end of the fiscal year (June 30, 2021). Employees who have returned or still may need to return to their University workspaces to complete their work, should follow the guidance in the University’s Sunrise Plan.
- Face covering requirement: Effective July 1, 2020 all University students, faculty, staff, and visitors are required to use a face covering at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties.
We all need to work together to stop the spread of COVID-19. Find out how you can help keep our community safe, how the University has prepared for students' return to campus, and more student specific information on the Return to Campus student webpage. Linked below are resources available to help our students.
Faculty and Staff Resources
The University has compiled resources for all University employees and resources for University instructors on its Safe Campus website. It has also created a helpful flowchart to guide you through the steps to take if you have a confirmed positive diagnosis or possible diagnosis. Additionally, collected below are direct links to the most requested resources from faculty and staff.
- CDes COVID-19 Fall 2020 sunrise planning
- CDes technology resources for Fall 2020
- Classroom best practices guide for teaching remote/online/blended and in-person courses
- Fabrication shop resources for Fall 2020
- Fall 2020 Restore Plan for Community-Based and Field-Based Experiential Learning (non-clinical)
- Information for faculty and instructors with family responsibilities
- Office for Public Engagement guide
- UMN faculty and staff FAQs
- UMN COVID-19 guidance for research
- UMN working remotely
- UMN employee travel costs and COVID-19
- UMN employee assistance program /mental health concerns
Emails from College of Design Leadership
Message from Dean Strohecker: Pre-Break Reminders | November 25, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with Reminders for Students Ahead of Break | November 13, 2020
Message from Associate Dean Chu with Reminders and Spring Teaching Resources | October 23, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker Welcoming Students Back to Campus | September 4, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with Technology Resources for Fall 2020 | September 2, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Miller with CDes Sunrise Guide for Faculty and Staff | September 1, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker with CDes Student Updates | June 22, 2020
Message from Associate Dean Chu about Planning for Fall 2020 | May 18, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | May 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 22, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 7, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with an Important Zoom Update | March 25, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Day One of Resumed Classes | March 18, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Working Remotely and IT Trainings | March 15, 2020