In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic the College of Design has collected resources to help support our faculty, staff, and students. You will also find a list of previous communications from College of Design leadership for easy access. For the most recent University updates and an archive of previous University communications visit the University's COVID-19 Updates webpage. For statewide updates and health best practices please visit the Minnesota Department of Health's website.
Top Five Things to Know
Updated October 19, 2020
- Fall 2020 Plans: All courses originally scheduled to be in-person or blended have now resumed as planned. The University is currently in Step Three of the Maroon and Gold Sunrise Plan.
- Face covering requirement: Effective July 1, 2020 all University students, faculty, staff, and visitors are required to use a face covering at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties.
- Sunrise Plan for returning to work: All employees who can work from home should continue doing so until the end of this calendar year (Dec. 31, 2020). Employees who have returned or still may need to return to their University work spaces to complete their work, should follow guidance in the University’s Sunrise Plan.
- COVID-19 Testing: The University has established testing and contact tracing protocols, called MTest, to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Learn more about the University's testing protocol and procedures or view the most recent testing results on the Twin Cities COVID-19 Dashboard.
- Spring break 2021: The Faculty Senate has voted to retain a contiguous, five-day Spring Break during the 2021 spring semester. The date of spring break on the Twin Cities campus has been moved and will now be April 5–9.
We all need to work together to stop the spread of COVID-19. Find out how you can help keep our community safe, how the University has prepared for students' return to campus, and more student specific information on the Return to Campus student webpage. Linked below are resources available to help our students.
Faculty and Staff Resources
The University has compiled resources for all University employees and resources for University instructors on its Safe Campus website. It has also created a helpful flowchart to guide you through the steps to take if you have a confirmed positive diagnosis or possible diagnosis. Additionally, collected below are direct links to the most requested resources from faculty and staff.
- CDes COVID-19 Fall 2020 sunrise planning
- CDes technology resources for Fall 2020
- Classroom best practices guide for teaching remote/online/blended and in-person courses
- Fabrication shop resources for Fall 2020
- Fall 2020 Restore Plan for Community-Based and Field-Based Experiential Learning (non-clinical)
- Information for faculty and instructors with family responsibilities
- Office for Public Engagement guide
- UMN faculty and staff FAQs
- UMN COVID-19 guidance for research
- UMN working remotely
- UMN employee travel costs and COVID-19
- UMN employee assistance program /mental health concerns
Emails from College of Design Leadership
Message from Associate Dean Chu with Reminders and Spring Teaching Resources | October 23, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker Welcoming Students Back to Campus | September 4, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with Technology Resources for Fall 2020 | September 2, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Miller with CDes Sunrise Guide for Faculty and Staff | September 1, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker with CDes Student Updates | June 22, 2020
Message from Associate Dean Chu about Planning for Fall 2020 | May 18, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | May 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 22, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 14, 2020
Message from Assistant Dean Yang with CDes Student Updates | April 7, 2020
Message from IT Director Kimber with an Important Zoom Update | March 25, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Day One of Resumed Classes | March 18, 2020
Message from Dean Strohecker on Working Remotely and IT Trainings | March 15, 2020