College of Design
Cdes Current Students

Dispute Resolution and Legal Issues

If you have a complaint with a person or unit at the U of M, start at the lowest level and work your way up. First, approach the person (or office) with whom you have the conflict or concern. If you are not satisfied with the response or outcome, approach the head of the department that houses the person, policy, or procedure with which you disagree. Remember to approach any person you are talking to with a spirit of cooperation.


Two organizations that you fund through your student service fees can provide you with help and guidance.


The Student Conflict Resolution Center (SCRC) can consult with you at any step of the process—either behind the scenes or by direct intervention. Their approach is one of interest-base negotiation, so they will seek a fair and reasonable resolution to the conflict—a solution that is satisfactory to both parties.


University Student Legal Service (USLS) provides legal advice and representation to eligible students on the Twin Cities campus.

Contact Information

College of Design

Saint Paul Offices

32 McNeal Hall, 1985 Buford Ave, St. Paul, MN 55108

P: 612-626-9068 | F: 612-625-1922

[directions and maps]

Minneapolis Offices

101 Rapson Hall, 89 Church St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

P: 612-626-9068 | F: 612-625-7525

[directions and maps]

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Privacy Statement
Current as of