New Transfer Students

 We’re excited to have you in the College of Design and wish you much success as you pursue your undergraduate degree.

To get off to a great start in the College, be sure to review thoroughly:

and information specific to your major: 

Academic Advising
The information below and the major-specific pages listed above will likely answer many of the questions you have at this point in the enrollment process. Please review this information before contacting your academic advisor.

To get off to a great start in the College, our advisors recommend that you:

  • Stay up-to-date on your e-mail account. This is our official means of communication with you. Watch it for scholarship deadlines, events related to your major, critical information from your academic advisor, and more.
  • Check the MyU Portal for college and major-specific information.

Major Requirements and Degree Progress
The four-year plan for your major indicates which courses you need to take and when. It works together with the APAS report, which is an online checklist of the degree requirements you have (not) completed. It is your responsibility to monitor your APAS report in order to track your degree progress. If you're not already familiar with APAS, you may view a tutorial here.

The College of Design will update your APAS as soon as possible following your admission notification. This may take up to 5 business days. If you would like to see how your classes transfer to your College of Design major prior to that, generate a "What If" version of your APAS.

Review of Transfer Courses for Your Major
Shortly after admission, we will review your transcript to identify studio coursework taken outside of the U of M-Twin Cities that may possibly fulfill a major requirement(s). If such coursework is identified, you will receive an email from with instructions for submitting the coursework for faculty review. Please submit your coursework as promptly as possible.

If you believe you have transferable studio-based courses but have not received an instructional email within two weeks of your admission notice, please contact


    • It is not common for faculty to approve transfer studio courses to meet upper-division major requirements.
    • Non-studio based major courses may be petitioned through your academic advisor once you begin your courses in the College of Design.
    • Courses that may fulfill liberal education requirements are reviewed by the Office of Admissions.

Information for Students Transferring from a U of M system campus (ie, Duluth, Crookston, Morris, or Rochester) AND Students who have been Away from the U of M for more than 1 Semester:
To assist you in preparing for registration and transitioning to the U of M-Twin Cities (UMTC) campus, please do the following….

  • After you have created your UMTC email, check here for helpful registration resources, including your registration time.
  • Review the online orientation when it becomes available for the upcoming term. (Note: This tutorial is designed for students transferring from outside of the U of M system, so some of the information may be familiar to you. It covers many UMTC resources, programs, and services that are relevant to students transferring from a system campus as well as those who may be returning to UMTC after time away from college.)
  • Get your UMTC U Card.  If you bring in your U Card from your previous U of M campus, the fee for a new U Card will be waived.
  • View campus maps to familiarize yourself with campus -- East Bank, West Bank and St. Paul. Start with your classroom buildings, transportation options, and parking facilities.

Questions? Contact your College of Design academic advisor.